Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)

From: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date: 2007-09-01 11:18:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Well, as I've said earlier, I'm a big +1 for changing the name to Postgres.

With due respect to all of those on both sides of the issue, IMHO Postgres
is a better name. It's simple. It's pronounceable. It's doesn't brag about
something that was new *10* years ago. It can be implemented easily, with
FAQs to resolve confusion. It doesn't have to be everywhere all at once (see
choice #6 from earlier in the thread). And by my reckoning, most people seem
to want it.

For what it's worth, we put a naming poll on the postgres.enterprisedb.com
site. Out of 95 votes, 54% vote for a name change, 26% say no, and 18% don't
care. I invite this mailing list to vote its opinions, if you haven't
already (please don't vote multiple times). Clearly, it's just one
measurement, but in US politics, these kinds of numbers are called a
landslide.

Bruce and others have demonstrated crisply that the work involved is not so
great. I'm just one voice, but I think we should make the change and move
on.

Andy