Re: rotate records

From: "Natasha Galkina" <natasha(at)platsolns(dot)com>
To: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: rotate records
Date: 2006-02-28 03:39:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Michael,

Thank you very much for your response.

I tried your solutions but still it looks like it doesn't work when I
delete random records.

select * from foo;
id | val
----+-----
1 | 13
2 | 14
3 | 15
(3 rows)

delete from foo where val = '13';
DELETE 1
delete from foo where val = '15';
DELETE 1

select * from foo;
id | val
----+-----
2 | 14
(1 row)

insert into foo (val) values ('16');
INSERT 34533 1
psimc_db=# select * from foo;
id | val
----+-----
2 | 14
1 | 16
(2 rows)

insert into foo (val) values ('17');
INSERT 34534 1
psimc_db=#
psimc_db=# select * from foo;
id | val
1 | 16
2 | 17

As you can see the record with value '14' is gone without explicit
delete, which is not what I expected. Do you have any ideas on how to
avoid this?

Natasha Galkina.