Alexa for PostgreSQL

From: Andy Astor <andy(dot)astor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Alexa for PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-08-04 21:16:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Many of you are aware of the Alexa Toolbar. For those who aren¹t, it is a
little widget that sits inside your browser and reports all the sites you
visit (anonymously) to Alexa, which in turn ranks all the pages on the web.
You can take a look at www.alexa.com. Currently, postgresql.org is ranked
number 8,956 in popularity. While this is not a competition, for comparison
purposes, MySQL is 794.

Obviously the Alexa rating of postgresql.org is a shallow measure, but it is
one to which people in the commercial world pay attention. The rating is
fairly low right now, and some people may judge PostgreSQL harshly as a
result. Dumb though that may be, it is the truth.

My modest proposal is that as many community members as possible install the
Alexa Toolbar (known as ³Sparky) in your browsers, so that your activity on
postgresql.org, and other sites related to our world are counted in Alexa¹s
rankings. This is one small way in which we can all help increase the
visibility of PostgreSQL and the web sites visited by the PostgreSQL
community.

The toolbar is at http://www.alexa.com/site/download/.

-- Andy

Andy Astor, CEO