Re: setting up raid10 with more than 4 drives

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
Cc: "Michael Stone" <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up raid10 with more than 4 drives
Date: 2007-05-30 20:18:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mark,

On 5/30/07 8:57 AM, "mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc" <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> wrote:

> One part is corruption. Another is ordering and consistency. ZFS represents
> both RAID-style storage *and* journal-style file system. I imagine consistency
> and ordering is handled through journalling.

Yep and versioning, which answers PFC's scenario.

Short answer: ZFS has a very reliable model that uses checksumming and
journaling along with block versioning to implement "self healing". There
are others that do some similar things with checksumming on the SAN HW and
cooperation with the filesystem.

- Luke