Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Krishna Kumar" <kumar(dot)ramanathan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?
Date: 2007-02-14 18:23:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Merlin,

On 2/14/07 8:20 AM, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am curious what is your take on the maximum insert performance, in
> mb/sec of large bytea columns (toasted), and how much if any greenplum
> was able to advance this over the baseline. I am asking on behalf of
> another interested party. Interested in numbers broken down per core
> on 8 core quad system and also aggreate.

Our approach is to attach a segment to each core, so we scale INSERT
linearly on number of cores. So the per core limit we live with is the
10-20MB/s observed here. We'd like to improve that so that we get better
performance with smaller machines.

We have demonstrated insert performance of 670 MB/s, 2.4TB/hour for
non-toasted columns using 3 load machines against 120 cores. This rate was
load machine limited.

WRT toasted bytea columns we haven't done any real benchmarking of those.
Do you have a canned benchmark we can run?

- Luke