Re: Postgres and really huge tables

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Chris Mair" <chris(at)1006(dot)org>, "Brian Hurt" <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres and really huge tables
Date: 2007-01-18 22:41:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-performance

Chris,

On 1/18/07 1:42 PM, "Chris Mair" <chris(at)1006(dot)org> wrote:

> A lot of data, but not a lot of records... I don't know if that's
> valid. I guess the people at Greenplum and/or Sun have more exciting
> stories ;)

You guess correctly :-)

Given that we're Postgres 8.2, etc compatible, that might answer Brian's
coworker's question. Soon we will be able to see that Greenplum/Postgres
are handling the world's largest databases both in record count and size.

While the parallel scaling technology we employ is closed source, we are
still contributing scaling technology to the community (partitioning, bitmap
index, sort improvements, resource management, more to come), so Postgres as
a "bet" is likely safer and better than a completely closed source
commercial product.

- Luke