Re: OS X Tiger, and PostgreSQL 8.2 don't mix?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Karen Hill <karen_hill22(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OS X Tiger, and PostgreSQL 8.2 don't mix?
Date: 2006-12-28 16:11:24
Lists: pgsql-general

> and
> added the appropriate items to /etc/sysctl.conf

1) The location may be out of date. Don't add to /etc/sysctl.conf; edit the
values already in /etc/rc. Where you set these values has shifted around
somewhat in OS X releases. I know that sysctl didn't work in 10.3. I know
that rc works in 10.4.

2) The values are out of date. All you're doing with those values is
re-specifying the OS X defaults. With 8.2, IIRC postgres defaults to using
more memory (the old default was extremely frugal), so out of the box you
may need to increase those values rather than only having to increase the OS
X values if you increased the postgres values. Just tack an extra zero onto
the end of shmmax and shmall and postgres will work with its default values.
If you want to increase postgres memory, you may have to revisit these
values.

3) The changes don't take effect until reboot, and often an OS X update will
reset them so you have to be prepared to re-edit /etc/rc.

Finally, the error message you're getting doesn't indicate that postgres is
actually requesting much memory. I suspect that you may have something else
running on your system which is using SysV shared memory. Nothing to worry
about, but something to be aware of when trying to match /etc/rc shm values
to postgres settings.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com