RE: [INTERFACES] JDBC & IE40

From: Mikael Hammarin <mikael(dot)hammarin(at)dc(dot)etx(dot)ericsson(dot)se>
To: "'Peter T Mount'" <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] JDBC & IE40
Date: 1998-07-27 20:38:14
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Mikael Hammarin wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since the bug in Internet Explorer 4.0 doesn't allow you to
> > make a Class.forName("portgresql.Driver") to load the postgresql-
> > driver, I now load it manually with DriverManager.registerDriver()
> > instead. However, now I get a "not-very-wanted" errormsg
> > "cannot access "hostname.com""... ?
>
> Is hostname.com your postgresql server?
>
> I presume you are using:
>
> java.sql.DriverManager.registerDriver(new Driver());
>
> This is how the driver registers itself

Yes, hostname.com *IS* a valid host, and it DOES exist.
I use:
-- snip --
postgresql.Driver driver = new postgresql.Driver();
try {
DriverManager.registerDriver(driver);
}
catch(Exception e) {
textStatus.setText(e.toString());
}
-- snip --
to register the driver.

This part works though. The problem is when I try to make
a connection:
conn = DriverManager.getConnection(connectionURL);

This generate an exception as I mentioned above, and returns
"cannot access <hostname>". I searched through the java-classes,
but I didn't find this string *anywhere*. That's why I wondered
where it came from. (it's not an standard hostnotfound exception)

However, the strange part is, that this *ONLY* happen when I run
my program as an Applet in IE40. It *DOES* work perfect if I run
the program as an application or in hotjava. I.e. It only seem
to happen in MSIE40. In other words, I know that the JDBCURL is
right and that access-lists are correct.

I was thinking that maybe the postgresql driver doesn't work correctly
when you register it with registerDriver() instead of Class.forName()?

Have you got JDBC working in IE40?
Cheers
//Mike