Newbie question about importing text files...

From: Jonathan Greenberg <jgreenberg(at)arc(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Newbie question about importing text files...
Date: 2006-10-10 03:43:53
Lists: pgsql-general

So I've been looking at the documentation for COPY, and I'm curious about a
number of features which do not appear to be included, and whether these
functions are found someplace else:

1) How do I skip an arbitrary # of "header" lines (e.g. > 1 header line) to
begin reading in data?
2) Is it possible to screen out lines which begin with a comment character
(common outputs for csv/txt files from various programs)?
3) Is there a way to read in fixed width files?

Thanks!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD