source make check regression test on windows xp

From: "Turner, John J" <JJTurner(at)statestreet(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: source make check regression test on windows xp
Date: 2010-10-21 02:04:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm building from source on Windows XP. In the manual for 9.0, chapter
15.5 has a section about using make check for regression testing.

make check bombs out when it tries to start the postmaster.

The manual mentions "This won't work as root; do it as an unprivileged
user." -- could this be why the postmaster won't start? Frankly I
don't really know what this caveat is instructing me to do or avoid.
Much obliged for any suggestions.

Thanks,
John