Re: replication/synchronisation

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: replication/synchronisation
Date: 2006-09-14 07:54:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 14/9/2006 15:50, "Glenn Davy" <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net> wrote:

>> In effect, what you're trying to do is akin to what PalmOS and Lotus
>> Notes solve using synchronization systems. There aren't any tools I
>> can readily point you to to help do this with PostgreSQL, alas.
> ok thanks - Im wondering how microsoft access and mssql server seem to
> achieve this so easily - it seems to be tied up with that massively long

Only seems so easy because they have taken the time to develop the feature

> alpha unique row id (uid?) i wonder if adding similar fields (ensuring
> uniqueness could prove interesting) to all tables in any given schema
> and triggers or rules to maintain them would allow provide a basis for
> some sort of simple system? Im clearly out of my depth here - just
> puzzled why it seems so doable in some platforms and nigh impossible on
> others.

You would use a unique rowID to match rows between the two copies and two
timestamps one would be the time the server was modified the other for when
the roaming copy was modified - this will allow you to know which copy was
modified since the last synchronisation and which way to copy changes.

> I guess im wondering if there is something intrinsic to postgres that
> makes this idea prohibitive, or is it that developers already have hands
> full with other features on their minds?

No technical reason, just needs someone to take the time to do it.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres(at)007Marketing(dot)com

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz