Re: Embedded App and User Authentication

From: "Jeffrey J(dot) Early" <jearly(at)alum(dot)ups(dot)edu>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Embedded App and User Authentication
Date: 2006-08-31 18:49:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

John,

Hey thanks! I figured out the answer while responding to your suggestion. I
had started to write:

Yes, I gave that a shot too, but it didn't work. The problem isn't
connecting to the database, but just launching postmaster (with pg_ctl)
pointing to that database cluster. Launching fails if the "user launching
postmaster" != "the user specified in initdb".

It turns out the problem is with launching postmaster via pg_ctl -- in fact,
pg_ctl seems to do this user authentication test, but postmaster doesn't. So
I found that if I launch postmaster directly, no problem. Nice security :-)

Thanks for your suggestions,
Jeffrey

PS - I still have to do a full blown test where I actually move it to a
different machine, but initial tests look solid.