Re: Latest ODBC driver?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl(dot)pgsql-odbc(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Latest ODBC driver?
Date: 2006-08-30 18:35:24
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 30/8/06 17:32, "Mark Morgan Lloyd" <markMLl(dot)pgsql-odbc(at)telemetry(dot)co(dot)uk>
wrote:

> I suspect that both driver series- i.e. "official" ODBC and ODBCng- are up
> against problems with the version of the ODBC DLLs they are expecting.

If that's the case, then it's the first time I recall it ever happening in 8
years or more on this list :-)

So, anyway, as one of many people who've most releases of the driver in
production for many years I'm keen to see this resolved, so let's try some
slightly more focused testing.

The latest driver code from Inoue-san is almost certainly the best bet of
all - it is based on the 07 series which you have working, and for the most
part only adds new functionality over that series. It's also the only branch
anyone will fix bugs in. As you mention you are running a BDE based app you
absolutely need to run an ANSI build of the driver, so...

1) On a test system, uninstall any PostgreSQL drivers to be safe.

2) Download the ANSI driver from
http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html. Unpack into your
system32 directory.

3) Register the driver by copying and pasting the following into
psqlodbc.reg (not including the ==== marks), then importing it into the
registry using regedit:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers]
"PostgreSQL ANSI"="Installed"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL]
"APILevel"="1"
"ConnectFunctions"="YYN"
"Driver"="PSQLODBCA.DLL"
"DriverODBCVer"="03.00"
"FileUsage"="0"
"Setup"="PSQLODBCA.DLL"
"SQLLevel"="1"
"UsageCount"=dword:00000001

I don't recall if NT4 has Regedit - if not, you may have to manually add the
values using regedt32.exe.

4) Check the driver appears in the driver manager and that the version shown
matches the DLLs.

5) Setup a DSN pointing to your 7.x server.

6) Start your app, and check it works. If you find a failure, close the app,
enable MyLog in the DSN, then restart the app and reproduce the failure in
the most minimal way you can (to keep the log small). Post the log for
review.

7) If that works, try the 8.1 server. Do the previous log dance if you find
a failure.

Once we have a log of the actual failure, we should be able to see what is
going wrong.

The installation pain above is only temporary btw. When we release, the
installer will include both driver builds.

Regards, Dave.