Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Steve Poe" <steve(dot)poe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, "Michael Stone" <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Performance on an HP DL385 and
Date: 2006-08-18 18:09:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Steve,

On 8/18/06 10:39 AM, "Steve Poe" <steve(dot)poe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Nope. it is only a RAID1 for the 2 internal discs connected to the SmartArray
> 6i. This is where I *had* the pg_xlog located when the performance was very
> poor. Also, I just found out the default stripe size is 128k. Would this be a
> problem for pg_xlog?

ISTM that the main performance issue for xlog is going to be the rate at
which fdatasync operations complete, and the stripe size shouldn't hurt
that.

What are your postgresql.conf settings for the xlog: how many logfiles,
sync_method, etc?

> The 6-disc RAID10 you speak of is on the SmartArray 642 RAID adapter.

Interesting - the seek rate is very good for two drives, are they 15K RPM?

- Luke