Re: Patch for ALTER DATABASE WITH TABLESPACE

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for ALTER DATABASE WITH TABLESPACE
Date: 2008-11-04 17:55:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On Samstag, Oktober 25, 2008 23:50:47 +0200 Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is my patch to add the ALTER DATABASE WITH TABLESPACE statement. It
> is part of the TODO list. It intends to allow the move of all relations
> of a database in its new default tablespace.
>
> Comments welcome.

I had a first look on this and in my opinion the patch looks reasonable. I
moved the usage of heap_modifytuple() to the new heap_modify_tuple() API
(see attached new diff) and did other minor cleanups.

However, i'm not satisfied with the syntax, which is currently ALTER
DATABASE name TABLESPACE foo. We use all over the place SET TABLESPACE
(e.g. for tables and indexes) and SET SCHEMA for namespaces even, so this
looks inconsistent. However, hacking this requires a little bit more
parser-foo, a quick hack shows reduce conflicts due to SetResetClause rule.
So what do we want in this case?

I did some minor additions in the docs as well.

--
Thanks

Bernd

Attachment Content-Type Size
alterdb_tablespace_v2.patch.bz2 application/octet-stream 3.8 KB