Re: Table clustering idea

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Postgres Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table clustering idea
Date: 2006-06-27 06:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim,

On 6/26/06 8:15 PM, "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:

> On a somewhat related note, I think that it would be advantageous if the
> FSM had a means to prefer certain pages for a given tuple over other
> pages. This would allow for a better way to keep heap and possibly index
> data more compacted, and it would also be a means of keeping tables
> loosely clustered. It would also make it far easier to shrink heaps that
> have become bloated, because the FSM could be told to favor pages at the
> beginning of the relation.

Interesting idea - page affinity implemented using the FSM.

WRT feasibility of BTREE organized tables, I'm not sure I see the problem.
Teradata implemented a hashing filesystem for their heap storage and I've
always wondered about how they handle collision and chaining efficiently,
but it's a solved problem for sure - knowing that makes the challenge that
much easier :-)

- Luke