Leading substrings - alternatives with 8.1.3?

From: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
To: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Leading substrings - alternatives with 8.1.3?
Date: 2006-05-01 17:16:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Back in the 7.4 era, to make leading substrings be indexed, I had to set
locale=C. See thread:

<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-02/msg00159.php>

I couldn't find any updates to this issue in the archives since then.

With 8.1.3, the default locale for my system is en_US.UTF8. Leading
substring searches result in a sequential search instead of an indexed
search. Do I still have to initdb to locale=C, or is there a better option
now?

Wes