Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory

From: Ketema Harris <ketema(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory
Date: 2006-04-27 13:41:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

First, I appreciate all of your input.

>No, backups are completely unrelated to your storage type; you need them
> either way.
Please another post. I meant the storage would do the back ups.
>redundancy, expandability
What I mean by these stupid flavor words is:
Redundancy : raid 5.
Expandability : the ability to stick another drive in my array and get more
storage and not have to turn of the db.
>Do you
> need the ability to do snapshots?
Yes.
>Do you want to share one big, expensive, reliable unit between
> multiple systems? Will you be doing failover?
Yes, and Yes. Really on one other system, a phone system, but it is the
crux of my business and will be writing a lot of recorded phone calls. I am
working with a storage company now to set up the failover, I want the db and
phone systems to never no if the storage switched over.

You have given me a lot to think about. The performance concerns me and I
will have to find some way to test. Perhaps spending a little less on the
storage system and more on the actual servers is the way to go? Then
utilize some combination off pg_backup, and the archive_command directive
with a periodic script.

Thank You all. I will keep researching this and the more input the better.
Thank You.