Re: What is a tuple?

From: Steve Brett <SBrett(at)e-mis(dot)com>
To: David Siebert <dsiebert(at)eclipsecat(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is a tuple?
Date: 2002-06-28 13:27:07
Lists: pgsql-general

I think tuple comes from a more classical description where tables are
relations and is mainly used in the description of relational model
concepts.

Elmasri and Nevathe (Fundamentals of Database Systems) describe a tuple as a
row and don't seem to make any distinction between the two, Date
(Introduction to Database Systems) promises as full and formal description
of exactly what a tuple is but doesn't deliver it and makes the same
equivelence. At Uni we used tuples and the more formal relation language to
describe databases but at work we use rows as the language is more easily
understood.

I do agree with your point that it may be a way to impress more than inform
but think it may be just a language thing, with some people preferring one
over the other.

Steve