Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Myron Scott" <lister(at)sacadia(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor
Date: 2006-04-09 05:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Myron,

First, this sounds really good!

On 4/8/06 9:54 PM, "Myron Scott" <lister(at)sacadia(dot)com> wrote:

> I added a little hack to the buffer
> code to force
> pages read into the buffer to stay at the back of the free buffer list
> until the master
> thread has had a chance to use it.

This is the part I'm curious about - is this using the shared_buffers region
in a circular buffer fashion to store pre-fetched pages?

One thing I've wondered about is: how much memory is required to get
efficient overlap? Did you find that you had to tune the amount of buffer
memory to get the performance to work out?

- Luke