Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Juan Casero (FL FLC)" <Juan(dot)Casero(at)wholefoods(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date: 2006-04-05 20:43:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

Juan,

On 4/5/06 11:12 AM, "Juan Casero (FL FLC)" <Juan(dot)Casero(at)wholefoods(dot)com>
wrote:

> I know the postgresql server is not smp aware but I believe
> parts of it are. In particular the buffer manager is supposed to scale the
> performance almost linearly with the number of cpu's (including virtual ones).
> I don't know however, if I need to recompile the postgresql server myself to
> get those benefits.

As Tom said, to get the benefits of parallelism on one query, you would need
a parallelizing database like Teradata, Oracle Parallel Query option,
Netezza, or Bizgres MPP.

The announcement about Postgres linear scalability for SMP is only relevant
to statement throughput for highly concurrent environments (web sites, OLTP,
etc).

- Luke