Re: Intel C/C++ Compiler Tests

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Spiegelberg, Greg" <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intel C/C++ Compiler Tests
Date: 2006-03-22 17:10:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg,

On 3/22/06 5:56 AM, "Spiegelberg, Greg" <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com> wrote:

> Has anyone tested PostgreSQL 8.1.x compiled with Intel's Linux C/C++
> compiler?

We used to compile 8.0 with icc and 7.x before that. We found very good
performance gains for Intel P4 architecture processors and some gains for
AMD Athlon.

Lately, the gcc compilers have caught up with icc on pipelining
optimizations and they generate better code for Opteron than icc, so we
found that icc was significantly slower than gcc on Opteron and no different
on P4/Xeon.

Maybe things have changed in newer versions of icc, the last tests I did
were about 1 year ago.

- Luke