Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Miguel" <mmiranda(at)123(dot)com(dot)sv>, "Postgresql Performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best OS & Configuration for Dual Xeon w/4GB &
Date: 2006-03-21 15:25:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jim,

On 3/21/06 3:49 AM, "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:

> No, I don't know why the transfer rates for the mirror are 1/2 that as the raw
> device. :(

Well - lessee. Would those drives be attached to a Silicon Image (SII) SATA
controller? A Highpoint?

I found in testing about 2 years ago that under Linux (looks like you're
BSD), most SATA controllers other than the Intel PIIX are horribly broken
from a performance standpoint, probably due to bad drivers but I'm not sure.

Now I think whatever is commonly used by Nforce 4 implementations seems to
work ok, but we don't count on them for RAID configurations yet.

- Luke