Preferred method for full backup

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Preferred method for full backup
Date: 2006-03-06 16:32:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

We just got a minor burn from not having a full backup. (Relying on
individual users to do backups of their data apparently does not work.)
What is the preferred method for doing a full database backup? I had been
doing pg_dumpall, but I am concerned that if only one database needs to be
restored, that may be more difficult than if I had use pg_dump on each
database. It looks from the docs that I need both for the purposes of
per-database restore and full cluster restore?

Thanks,
Sean