releasing space

From: Julie Nishimura <juliezain(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: releasing space
Date: 2019-10-17 17:20:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everybody,
We are running PostgreSQL 9.6.2 cluster master -> standby (streaming replication). 22 tb of space (constantly struggling with the space, pruning the old data, but not fast enough). The biggest db takes 16 tb. So, we've copied it to another server, and now we would like to delete it from our original source, to free up the space. What would be the right approach for this? Just issue drop database command (16tb). How long it might take? Should we do it gradually (drop biggest tables first)? Any suggestions? Caveats?

Thank you!

-Julie