Can you install/run postgresql on a FIPS enabled host?

From: "McDermott, Becky" <bmcderm(at)sandia(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can you install/run postgresql on a FIPS enabled host?
Date: 2022-03-21 22:15:19
Lists: pgsql-general

We have a requirement to run all of our applications on FIPS enabled hosts. Is it possible to install and successfully run postgreql on a FIPS enabled host?

We currently run postgres ina container that is executing on a FIPS enabled host with the setting: password_encryption = scram-sha-256

And none of our Java clients can connect to the postgresql database. If we run postgresql on a non-FIPS enabled host, everything works fine.

I'm having a hard time finding any FIPS guidance for postgresql from googling. If anyone has any guidance or has gotten this to work, that would be most helpful.

Thank you,

Becky McDermott