Re: Index seems "lost" after consecutive deletes

From: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index seems "lost" after consecutive deletes
Date: 2016-06-14 15:02:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Em 14/06/2016 10:32, David G. Johnston escreveu:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:51 AM, Edson Richter
> <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com <mailto:edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>>wrote:
>
> Em 14/06/2016 01:33, David G. Johnston escreveu:
>> On Monday, June 13, 2016, Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com
>> <mailto:edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>> wrote:

>>> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM C WHERE C.a_id = 3240124;
>>> count
>>> -------
>>> 1
>>> (1 registro)
>>>

>>> A.id is primary key of A table. Each table has its own
>>> primary key.
>>>
>>> Relationship to others table is 1-N, being N = {0,1}
>>>

>>> A.id -> B.a_id (being B.a_id unique but not enforced by
>>> unique key)
>>>
>>> A.id -> C.a_id (being C.a_id unique but not enforced by
>>> unique key)
>>>
>>> A.id -> D.a_id (being D.a_id unique but not enforced by
>>> unique key)
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Edson
>>
>> Just in case, I've run:
>>
>> - vacuum full analyze verbose;
>> - reindex index ix_c_a_id;
>>
>> Result I get same error. So, I'm inclined to discard that
>> this is a index error.
>>

>> Interesting:
>>
>> with qry as (select A.id
>> from A
>> where creatingdate < (now()::date - interval '12 month')
>> and not exists (select 1 from B where B.a_id = A.id)
>> and not exists (select 1 from C where C.a_id = A.id)
>> and not exists (select 1 from D where D.a_id = A.id)
>> order by A.id limit 2000)
>>
>> select * from qry where id = 3240124;
>>

>> Why do you assume 3240124 is within the first 2000 qualified
>> records that the CTE is limited to checking?
>
> Because this is the key causing the error on delete.
>

> ​Wasn't the point though I do suspect your expectations are acceptable
> in this instance. If you truly want to see if qry contains 3240124
> you should lose the LIMIT 2000.​

Running the risk to deviate the focus, if records are ordered in the
query, limiting them will always produce same result.

>> Total query runtime: 2.2 secs
>> 0 rows retrieved.
>>

>> Why delete causes error, but querying don't?
>>

>> Given the error message this answer seems self-evident...
>
> Not self-evident to me: delete says I'm trying to delete the
> record with id = 3240124 and I can't. But the select says this
> record with id = 3240124 is not there!!!
>

> ​This error:
> ​ERROR: update or delete in "A" violates foreign key "fk_C_A" in
> ​ ​
> "C".
> is impossible to encounter when executing a pure select...

Yes, but is also impossible to get this error if the record is not in
the subquery results. That's why I've executed the query filtering
id=3240124.
If this record is not in the subquery, why does the "delete..." is
trying to remove it?

>> Would it be a bug when using delete ... where id in (subquery)?
>>
>> I'm unsure regarding the solution but I suspect the problem is
>> that between selecting the A row and deleting it another
>> concurrent process added a record to C that, if you were to
>> re-run the select would cause the row from A to be skipped. But
>> the single query doesn't have that option so it ends up failing.
>>
>> There is a FOR UPDATE clause you can add to the select but I
>> don't think that works here since table C is the one being
>> altered and at the time of the query there is nothing to lock.
>>
>> I'm doubting this is a bug, just poor concurrency understanding.
>> Sorry I cannot enlighten further at the moment.
>
> There is not other process adding/updating records - and even
> there is, the ID would be so high (because it is a sequence) that
> cannot be the 3240124 (this record has been generated more than 2
> years ago - that's why my query has the "creationdate" filter - I
> don't touch records created within last 12 months).
>
> Also, I've tried the same with "for update": same error!
>

> ​Have you confirmed that
> ​
> "fk_C_A" is referencing the columns you think it is?

Yes, first thing. All references are maintained by a automated system.
If the relation is not there, then it will be automatically created.
But your question raised another interesting line of investigation: if
there is any other cascading foreign keys pointing to A table.
Until now, I've been concentrated in the related tables, but would be
possible that another FK is cascading, which in turn would have another
cascade that is causing the error.

> ​What's the history of this machine? Did you pass through 9.3
> (especially early releases) on your way to 9.4?

Started with 9.0, then 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and now 9.4.
Nevertheless, for every migration I've used a "dump" and "restore" to
avoid the "upgrade" caveats.
For example, when migrating from 9.3 to 9.4, I've used "9.4" pg_dump to
create the dump, and then "9.4" pg_restore to restore it in the new cluster.

Edson