Processor speed relative to postgres transactions per second

From: Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Processor speed relative to postgres transactions per second
Date: 2010-03-29 16:42:46
Lists: pgsql-general

We have two camps that think that the speed of cpu processors is/aren't relative to the number of transactions that postgres that can performed per second.

I am of the opinion that is we throw the faster processors at the database machine, there will be better performance.

Just like faster drives and controllers, there must be some improvement over the other processor.

Is there anything to support this, a document or someone's personal experience?

Chrs Barnes

Stay in touch.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9712959