Re: Off Topic: ICD-10 codes in a database table?

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com>, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>, Joseph Catropia <joseph(dot)catropia(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: ICD-10 codes in a database table?
Date: 2009-02-26 20:29:48
Lists: pgsql-general

ICD10s discovered!

http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/icd_10/dxlabel%202006.csv

Thanks Steve!

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:04:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Off Topic: ICD-10 codes in a database table?
From: andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com
To: steve(at)blighty(dot)com
CC: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:

On Feb 26, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Andrew Gould wrote:

Background: ICD-10 is a clinical coding system maintained by the World Health Organization. The system is used in most "advanced" countries. Hospitals in the USA must convert from ICD-9 to ICD-10 by 2013.

Problem: I've been trying to find a table of ICD-10 codes to import into a database; but the only listings that I can find are in publicly available pdf files. I've tried to copy the text to text files, but the resulting layout is horrible -- it would take, literally, weeks or months of manual tweaking to parse.

Does anyone have or know of an existing table of ICD-10 codes that is already "import friendly"?

10 seconds with google finds something in CSV format in a zip file downloadable from the bottom of http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/toolssoftware/icd_10/ccs_icd_10.jsp - is that any use to you?

Cheers,

Steve

Hmm.....AHRQ never came up in my googling.

The table is almost what I need; but also has additional, useful information. In essence, AHRQ had a table that maps ICD-9 codes to their CCS categories. They have added a table that maps ICD-10 codes to those same categories. The mapping is *very* useful. The only thing missing are the ICD-10 code descriptions.

Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Correction: The table has ICD-10 diagnosis code descriptions! Now I just need them to create the same table for ICD-10 procedure codes. (I'm sure that will follow soon as they have the analagous table for ICD-9's.)

Andrew

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009