Re: Configure server firewall request/response

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <lars(dot)carlsson(at)epsilon(dot)nu>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configure server firewall request/response
Date: 2009-05-29 13:52:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Here are 3 $POSGRES_HOME/data/postgresql.conf parameters which may help
tcp_keepalives_idle (integer) On systems that support the TCP_KEEPIDLE socket option, specifies the
number of seconds between sending keepalives on an otherwise idle
connection. A value of 0 uses the system default. If TCP_KEEPIDLE is
not supported, this parameter must be 0. This option is ignored for
connections made via a Unix-domain socket.

tcp_keepalives_interval (integer) On systems that support the TCP_KEEPINTVL socket option, specifies how
long, in seconds, to wait for a response to a keepalive before
retransmitting. A value of 0 uses the system default. If TCP_KEEPINTVL
is not supported, this parameter must be 0. This option is ignored
for connections made via a Unix-domain socket.

tcp_keepalives_count (integer) On systems that support the TCP_KEEPCNT socket option, specifies how
many keepalives may be lost before the connection is considered dead.
A value of 0 uses the system default. If TCP_KEEPCNT is not
supported, this parameter must be 0. This option is ignored
for connections made via a Unix-domain socket.

if all 3 parameters are left at 0 then the OS is supplying the keepalive parameters
here are my keepalive parameters from $POSTGRES_HOME/data/postgresql.conf
# - TCP Keepalives -
# see 'man 7 tcp' for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0 # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
# 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0 # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
# 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0 # TCP_KEEPCNT;
# 0 selects the system default

does this help?
Martin Gainty