What will happen to PostgreSQL server (on Linux) if CMOS battery dies?

From: Fredrik Israelsson <fredrik_is(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What will happen to PostgreSQL server (on Linux) if CMOS battery dies?
Date: 2008-12-02 09:04:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!
I wonder what the consequences would be for a PostgreSQL server running on Linux on a machine where the CMOS battery that gives life to the local system (time) clock dies.
Note that the machine is not connected to a network, so synchronizing with an external time server is not an option. The machine is usually turned off every night, and turned on every morning, so I guess that with a dead battery, the local time will be set to 1970 every morning.

Of course the battery should be changed as soon as possible if it dies, but I just want to know if PostgreSQL will be able to run at all in these conditions.

Best regards,
Fredrik Israelsson

Beställ bläck före 19 för leverans nästa vardag
http://www.inkclub.com/msn8