Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

From: 小波 顾 <guxiaobo1982(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <chris(dot)ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)uk>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date: 2008-10-29 15:26:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry for following up so late, actually I mean compression features like what other commercial RDBMS have, such as DB2 9.5 or SQL Server 2008. In those databases, all data types in all tables can be compressed, following are two features we think very useful:
1. Little integers of types take 8 bytes in the past now only take 4 or 2 bytes if there are not so large.
2. If two values have the same text or pattern, only one is stored, and that one is compressed with traditional compress methods too.

To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)orgSubject: Re: [GENERAL] Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?From: Chris(dot)Ellis(at)shropshire(dot)gov(dot)ukDate: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:19:31 +0000Note that most data stored in the TOAST table is compressed. IE a Text type with length greater than around 2K will be stored in the TOAST table. By default data in the TOAST table is compressed, this can be overriden. However I expect that compression will reduce the performance of certain queries. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/storage-toast.html Out of interested, in what context did you want compression?

Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> Sent by: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
27/10/2008 07:34

小波 顾 <guxiaobo1982(at)hotmail(dot)com>

cc
"pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>

Subject
Re: [GENERAL] Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?