Re: PLUGINS Functionlity in Win32 build scripts

From: MUHAMMAD ASIF <anaeem(dot)it(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PLUGINS Functionlity in Win32 build scripts
Date: 2008-12-11 07:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am on it , I understand your concern. I will send you the sample code and pldebugger details to test the logic ASAP .Thanks.> Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:36:42 -0500> From: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> To: anaeem(dot)it(at)hotmail(dot)com> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PLUGINS Functionlity in Win32 build scripts> CC: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org> > >> I've been assigned to review this patch, but I confess I'm a little> >> murky on what problem it's trying to solve. Can you explain what I> >> need to do to recreate the problem?> > In postgreSQL, Plugin modules should be installed in (Installation> > dir)lib/plugins to run properly. There is logic in src/makefiles/pgxs.mk for> > handling shared objects implemented as e.g. "Modules" variable that are> > installed in (Installation dir)/lib. There should be some way to handle> > plugins as well. We faced this issue during the integration of contrib> > module pldebugger ( http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000175 ) with the> > edb-postgresql code. pldebugger/Makefile handles plugins by itself,> > Unix/Linux don't mind it because it build through make. On windows, perl> > scripts are used to build the system that relies on Makefiles that uses> > pgxs.mk variables e.g "Modules" etc. It fails to build pldebugger that> > implements its own plugin build logic in its Makefile. Right now for us> > there is only one plugin module but in future there may be more.Instead of> > any workaround we come up to a better solution to handle plugins> > automatically by pgxs.mk as other shared objects are being handled on Unix> > and Windows. We added PLUGIN logic in pgxs.mk and windows perl build scripts> > so that there is no need to handle plugins separately by new contrib> > modules.> > I am a bit dubious about the idea of adding supposedly generic> functionality to cater to a single client, but the bigger problem is> that even after reading this I still don't really know what I'm> supposed to be looking at. I think you're saying that pldebugger> contains some code that could be made simpler and less easily broken> if this patch were applied. Is that correct? If so, please tell me> where to download the pldebugger code and which file(s) to look in for> the code that could be improved.> > ...Robert