Re: deleting the master but not the detail

From: "Ismael (dot)(dot)(dot)(dot)" <ismaelpsp(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: deleting the master but not the detail
Date: 2008-07-17 17:09:00
Lists: pgsql-general

So is there no other way to do it but to verify the integrity using triggers
and drop the referential constraints?

Because I *still* need to verify that NEW records in the details table
direct to something that exists

>> ON DELETE RESTRICT | NO ACTION won't let me delete the master
>> CASCADE | SET NULL | SET DEFAULT will modify the details
>
> Can you just drop the constraint that's doing the referential integrity?
>
> Ray.
>
> Then remove the referential integrity constraint, since it's obviously
> incompatible with your business requirements.
>
> -Doug
Plug&Play te trae en exclusiva los mejores conciertos de la red
http://club.prodigymsn.com/