Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-10-25 12:56:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11-10-25 02:44 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> With pg_basebackup, we have a fighting chance of getting this right,
> because we have more control over how the backup is made. For example,
> we can co-operate with the buffer manager to avoid torn-pages,
> eliminating the need for full_page_writes=on, and we can include a
> control file with the correct end-of-backup location automatically,
> without requiring user intervention. pg_basebackup is less flexible
> than the pg_start/stop_backup method, and unfortunately you're more
> likely to need the flexibility in a more complicated setup with a hot
> standby server and all, but making the generic pg_start/stop_backup
> method work seems infeasible at the moment.

Would pg_basebackup be able to work with the buffer manager on the slave
to avoid full_page_writes=on needing to be set on the master? (the
point of this is to be able to take the base backup without having the
backup program contact the master). If so could pg_start_backup() not
just put the buffer manager into the same state?