Re: Compressed binary field

From: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compressed binary field
Date: 2012-09-11 16:34:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Em 11/09/2012 09:40, Kevin Grittner escreveu:
> Edson Richter wrote:
>
>> So, should I use
>>
>> alter table MYTABLE set storage EXTENDED
>
> Don't bother; that is the default.
>
> This should already be happening automatically. Is there some
> problem you're seeing that you want to fix? If so, you should
> probably describe that.
>
> -Kevin
No, there is no problem. Just trying to reduce database size forcing
these fields to compress.
Actual database size = 8Gb
Backup size = 1.6Gb (5x smaller)

Seems to me (IMHO) that there is room for improvement in database
storage (we don't have many indexes, and biggest tables are just the
ones with bytea fields). That's why I've asked for experts counseling.

Regards,

Edson.