Re: Feature discussion: Should syntax errors abort a transaction?

From: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature discussion: Should syntax errors abort a transaction?
Date: 2012-06-20 14:49:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Em 20/06/2012 11:00, felix(at)crowfix(dot)com escreveu:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:36:09AM -0700, felix(at)crowfix(dot)com wrote:
>>> This this this, and again, this. Imagine:
>>>
>>> begin;
>>> insert into tableb selcet * from tableb;
>>> truncate tableb;
>>> commit;
>>>
>>> What should happen when we get to the error on the second line? Keep
>>> going? Boom, data gone because of a syntax error.
>> I've been lurking, and maybe I should go back to that :-) but I think you misunderstand. The idea is not to ignore or second-guess typoes, but to report them without affecting the transaction, and only do this in interactive sessions.
>>
>> Personally, I like the idea of BEGIN INTERACTIVE, but note I do not offer to do the work.
> Looks like I should go back to lurking, and do better at it :-(
>
> The discussion began about differentiatng typoes and other errors, which is clearly not easy or obvious, and something that has always frustrated me when I find programs which try to do so. Then I saw the idea of BEGIN INTERACTIVE and lost sight of the discussion.
>
> My apoligies for stepping in so badly.

Don't be sorry, your question arrived a great discussion.

Nobody is mad about that, is just a matter to have great minds having
great discussions!

Thansk for bringing that. Does not mean I agree with your point, but the
debate is bigger than my personal opinion.

I'm certain that something good will arrive from this thread.

In time: I believe that "Begin Interactive" is not a good idea. Such
behavior shall be built in the interface application, not in database
backend... As I stated before, being tolerant or not, or trying to
"guess" what user means is a task for the interface. The database must
keep the "always safe, always good" policy with data.

Regards,

Edson.