Re: unusual "relation xxx does not exist" problem

From: "Bill Eaton" <ee2(at)aeroantenna(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unusual "relation xxx does not exist" problem
Date: 2006-06-28 18:09:34
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I'm trying to migrate a database cluster from one server to
> another. So I
> > did a pg_dumpall, ported everything over, yada yada yada.
> >
> > I have one particular schema in one particular database that is
> giving me
> > trouble. All names for tables, sequences, functions, etc. are
> lowercase. I
> > repeat: everything is lowercase.
> >
> > I'm using pgadmin iii to look at everything and I continually
> get "relation
> > not found" errors with my "failurelog" table and other tables.
> I've tried
> > DROP CASCADEing the schema and database and then rebuilding one
> table at a
> > time, but it just is not working.
> >
> > I've also done another experiment where I create a brand new table that
> > never existed. I still get "relation not found" errors on that
> table. The
> > only common thread seems to be the schema.
> >
> > The name of the schema is
> > bar
> >
> > "bar" is not a reserved word in PostgreSQL, according to the
> documentation.
> > Is there any corrupted information that might be stored in the templates
> > (template0 template1) that would account for this problem?
> Could it be a bug
> > in pgadmin?
>
> Possibly. Can you reproduce it in psql? Keep in mind you'll need to
> either specify the schema name or ensure that bar is in search_path.

Oops. That's a detail I left out. I can only reproduce this problem so far
in PGAdmin. I couldn't reproduce the error in psql or in a linked table in
MSAccess. This is what leads me to wonder if a system table is screwed up.
PGAdmin must be looking at system tables behind the scenes to figure out all
of the info on tables and field names, etc.

Since dropping the schema, the database, and even the "postgres" maintenance
database doesn't fix the problem, I was wondering if something could be
frelled up in template0 or template1. And I'm scared to mess with those.
Though if there is a safe way to regenerate those, I'm perfectly willing to
nuke them, too.

-Bill Eaton