Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested
Date: 2006-01-13 21:43:36
Lists: pgsql-www

On 13/1/06 18:43, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
>> Registration would take a little effort from one of us, but surely
>> everyone involved is capable of wrapping paragraphs/headers in <p> </p>
>> or <hX> </hX> tags? It's not like you need to handle any of the styling
>> or layout code as you know from when you did the first few PWNs.
>
> Yes, but there's forms as well ... registration forms, submission of
> papers, etc. I'm also not clear that, for marketing reasons, we want
> conference registration to be buried in the www.postgresql.org
> navigation. Speaking of which, how many levels of navigation does
> postgresql.org support?

Depends how it's done. Archives uses 3. The new techdocs is infinite but I
think it only shows you the lowest couple of levels and top/section menus at
any one time.

> Is there someone on this list who's willing to be at our beck and call
> to make changes that go beyond static HTML (like an announcements
> ticker)? And can turn these things around quickly?

Magnus? :-). Seriously though, it depends on what exactly is required. If it
is just registration and paper submissions then that shouldn't be much of an
issue. Static pages are always easy of course.

> Each of the 4 of us leading the conference effort expect to put in over
> 100 hours organizing it this spring. We don't have extra time to spend
> on a web site beyond the development of content, so we need a solution
> that doesn't require us to do more than that. If that solution is the
> main postgresql.org infrastructure, we're going to need someone on this
> list to lean on, and lean hard.
>
> Aside from that, there's some question about whether or not having its
> own root site might be better for the conference anyway. If you look at
> O'Reilly or MySQL, neither subsumes the conference navigation into the
> main website navigation. I'm concerned that doing so will make it
> difficult for attendees to find the information they want.

Good point. Well, it is a temporary site so having it separate for good
reasons is not so evil I don't think. If you're convinced it needs to be
separate, then all I would suggest is that you make obviously a separate
site, yet clearly still PostgreSQL. Perhaps stick rigidly with the main site
colours and logo, but use a totally different layout. Or the same layout,
but different colours. That would help with your point below.

> On the other hand, it would make it indisputable a "community" event.

Regards, Dave.