Re: Triggers and speed - 7.4.5 / 8.0.3

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Steve Tucknott <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Triggers and speed - 7.4.5 / 8.0.3
Date: 2006-01-09 13:13:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 1/9/06 8:12 AM, "Steve Tucknott" <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> We have both 7.4.5 and 8.0.3 running and seem to have some speed
> problems with triggers/procedures in both.
> We are using PL/pgSQL for the procedures. Is this a known issue that is
> cured in later releases?
>
> The speed problem appears to be more related to the fact that an action
> has a trigger, rather than the action that the trigger spawns. IE the
> triggered procedure code seems to execute ok in stand-alone, but seems
> to take time load/execute. Is there a way of compiling the procedure(s)
> or something similar?

Steve,

I'm not an expert, but I think that posting your table structure and trigger
code will probably be useful for those who want to help. Also, what makes
you say that trigger code speed is a problem? Yes, triggers are going to
add overhead to table actions--a table without a trigger on it will behave
differently that one that does have a trigger, I think.

Sean