Re: MySQL is faster than PgSQL but a large margin in

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Madison Kelly" <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL is faster than PgSQL but a large margin in
Date: 2005-12-22 07:10:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Madison,

On 12/21/05 11:02 PM, "Madison Kelly" <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com> wrote:

> Currently 7.4 (what comes with Debian Sarge). I have run my program on
> 8.0 but not since I have added MySQL support. I should run the tests on
> the newer versions of both DBs (using v4.1 for MySQL which is also
> mature at this point).

Yes, this is *definitely* your problem. Upgrade to Postgres 8.1.1 or
Bizgres 0_8_1 and your COPY speed could double without even changing fsync
(depending on your disk speed). We typically get 12-14MB/s from Bizgres on
Opteron CPUs and disk subsystems that can write at least 60MB/s. This means
you can load 100GB in 2 hours.

Note that indexes will also slow down loading.

- Luke