Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Juan Casero" <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Ultrasparc T1
Date: 2005-12-19 07:21:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Juan,

On 12/18/05 8:35 AM, "Juan Casero" <caseroj(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how well PostgreSQL 8.x performs on the new Sun Ultrasparc
> T1 processor and architecture on Solaris 10? I have a custom built retail
> sales reporting that I developed using PostgreSQL 7.48 and PHP on a Fedora
> Core 3 intel box. I want to scale this application upwards to handle a
> database that might grow to a 100 GB. Our company is green mission conscious
> now so I was hoping I could use that to convince management to consider a Sun
> Ultrasparc T1 or T2 system provided that if I can get the best performance
> out of it on PostgreSQL. So will newer versions of PostgreSQL (8.1.x) be
> able to take of advantage of the multiple cores on a T1 or T2? I cannot
> change the database and this will be a hard sell unless I can convince them
> that the performance advantages are too good to pass up. The company is
> moving in the Win32 direction and so I have to provide rock solid reasons for
> why I want to use Solaris Sparc on a T1 or T2 server for this database
> application instead of Windows on SQL Server.

The Niagara CPUs are heavily multi-threaded and will require a lot of
parallelism to be exposed to them in order to be effective.

Until Sun makes niagara-based machines with lots of I/O channels, there
won't be much I/O parallelism available to match the CPU parallelism.

Bizgres MPP will use the process and I/O parallelism of these big SMP
machines and the version based on Postgres 8.1 will be out in February.

- Luke