Re: Command line psql and other ODBC access.

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "T(dot) Lackey" <lackey(at)ltu(dot)edu>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Command line psql and other ODBC access.
Date: 2005-12-15 14:32:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 12/15/05 9:12 AM, "T. Lackey" <lackey(at)ltu(dot)edu> wrote:

> Since Postgre is ODBC compliant can I access other ODBC databases directly
> from psql ( the "postgres=#" prompt)? If so how?

psql is simply a client for postgresql, so it doesn't deal with ODBC at
all.

> I would like to use databases created in MySQL or MS ACCESS or Oracle or
> whatever without doing any conversion or importing to PostgreSQL. I have no
> problem using ACCESS to manipulate a Postgre database. I want to go the other
> way.

There isn't an entirely transparent way of connecting databases together,
but DBI-link gets pretty close. It uses pl/perl to emulate tables from an
external source (MySQL, Oracle, and the like) in postgresql.

See here:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/100.php

And here:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link