Re: automake

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automake
Date: 2005-11-09 21:15:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 9/11/05 8:22 pm, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de> wrote:

> How to handle the [tar-ustar] option in configure.ac? I had to remove it
> in my setup.

You probably need to upgrade to automake 1.9.6.

When I was packaging 1.4 the other night, I suddenly realised that whoever
added the slony docs ( :-p ), forgot to add them to makefile.am, so they
weren't included in the tarball. Having added them to the makefile, I
rebuilt the tarball only to get errors from tar about three of the slony
docs having too-long filenames, and find that the tarball itself way 12MB
instead of the normal 6!!

The tar-ustar option makes tar work in a mode in which 255 character names
are supported instead of the default 99. A one off upgrade to automake on
the /older/ developer systems seemed far less pain than manually renaming
the slony docs forever more.

Regards, Dave