Re: Data Warehouse Reevaluation - MySQL vs Postgres --

From: "Leeuw van der, Tim" <tim(dot)leeuwvander(at)nl(dot)unisys(dot)com>
To: "Markus Schaber" <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Performance List" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data Warehouse Reevaluation - MySQL vs Postgres --
Date: 2004-09-14 12:42:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I found bulk-insert to perform very slow, when compared to MySQL / Oracle. All inserts were done in 1 transaction. However, mitigating factors here were:
- Application was a .Net application using ODBC drivers
- PostgreSQL 7.3 running on CYGWIN with cygipc daemon
- Probably very bad tuning in the config file, if any tuning done at all
- The application was issuing 'generic' SQL since it was generally used with Oracle and MySQL databases. So no tricks like using COPY or multiple rows with 1 INSERT statement. No stored procedures either.
- When doing queries, most of the time the results were comparable to or better than MySQL (the only other database that I tested with myself).

So what I can say is, that if you want fast INSERT performance from PostgreSQL then you'll probably have to do some trickery that you wouldn't have to do with a default MySQL installation.

regards,

--Tim