Re: Standby server won't start

From: Rajeev rastogi <rajeev(dot)rastogi(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standby server won't start
Date: 2014-03-21 09:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21 March 2014 13:41, Tatsuo Wrote:

> I changed primary servers max_connections from 100 to 4 for just a
> testing purpose. Now standby server won't start and complains:
>
> hot standby is not possible because max_connections = 4 is a lower
> setting than on the master server (its value was 100)
>
> My guess is this is because standby's pg_control file contains previous
> primary setting (max_connections = 100). Is there any way to start the
> standby server without re-creating pg_control (which implies getting
> base backup again)? If not, there should be some way to allow to start
> standby server without getting base backup...

I think there is no way to do this because parameter from master is already set
in pg_control file, which can not be changed without taking new backup from master.

Also this is not recommended to have standby's max_connection values lesser than the master's max_connection value.

Thanks and Regards,
Kumar Rajeev Rastogi