Re: Indexes on RAM disk = insanity?

From: Steve Lane <slane(at)soliantconsulting(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexes on RAM disk = insanity?
Date: 2005-07-29 17:17:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

We're going to build a new server with a bit more RAM -- 8 gigs.

I know memory is somehow the bottleneck, but I don't think it's because I
have too little. Performance monitors show a lot of swap activity during
heavy query load testing, but available RAM is never maxed out, or even
close. SOMETHING is starved for RAM, I just don't know what.

We are running a web app here and have Apache and PG on the same box. I
have PG buffers set very high, about 100K. Data set approaches 3 gigs.

My gut feeling is I have RAM to spare, I'm just somehow not efficiently
using what I have.

I just wanted a gut-check reaction to this idea, and I don't hear anyone
saying "NO! NEVER!". What I'm hearing is that it might, or might not, be
practical, feasible, maintainable.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look more at the memory usage and see what
comes up.

-- sgl