Re: Japanese words not distinguished - Solution

From: Harry Mantheakis <harry(at)mantheakis(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Japanese words not distinguished - Solution
Date: 2005-07-17 20:28:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> I'll report the results, for the record.

Okay, for the record, all went well. I re-initialise my PostgreSQL 7.4
database cluster using the following command:

initdb --locale=C --encoding UNICODE

Then, after defining the relevant groups and users, I used pg_restore to
restore my data from a dump file.

And now everything works as expected with both European (Latin-1) and
Japanese names and words.

Sorting with ORDER BY on European names and words is adequate for my
requirements, even though the C locale ordering is case sensitive.

As Tatsuo Ishii pointed out, I can use lower/upper to get case insensitive
ordering if I ever need it.

The bottom line seems to be: if you're planning to store data with languages
from across the world, initialise your database cluster with the C locale
and Unicode encoding.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Kind regards

Harry Mantheakis