Re: Different compression methods for FPI

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Different compression methods for FPI
Date: 2021-03-13 15:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 13 марта 2021 г., в 06:28, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> написал(а):
>>
> Updated patch with a minor fix to configure.ac to avoid warnings on OSX.
> And 2ndary patches from another thread to allow passing recovery tests.
> Renamed to WAL_COMPRESSION_*
> Split LZ4 support to a separate patch and support zstd. These show that
> changes needed for a new compression method have been minimized, although not
> yet moved to a separate, abstracted compression/decompression function.

Thanks! Awesome work!

> These two patches are a prerequisite for this patch to progress:
> * Run 011_crash_recovery.pl with wal_level=minimal
> * Make sure published XIDs are persistent
>
> I don't know if anyone will consider this patch for v14 - if not, it should be
> set to v15 and revisit in a month.

I want to note, that fixes for 011_crash_recovery.pl are not strictly necessary for this patch set.
The problem in tests arises if we turn on wal_compression, absolutely independently from wal compression method.
We turn on wal_compression in this test only for CI purposes.

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.