Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?

From: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Alon Goldshuv" <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date: 2005-06-02 02:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How do you distinguis an escape-delimiter used to escape a delimiter in
> the data from a literal escape-delimiter in the data being loaded --- it
> seems impossible to do.

The usual approach is fine - a pair of escapes is equivalent to a literal
escape.

> Or are you saying there would be no escape at all. If you make '@' the
> escape, you can't just say @n is a newline because you need to make '@'
> output as '@@' so you can distinguish @-n from a newline.

Yup - which is why when we've implemented this set of semantics in the past
we've allowed for the use of arbitrary 8-bit escape characters.

Binary characters (128-255) will appear fairly regularly in web log data,
and as Alon pointed out previously, many text fields include backslashes
(particularly Windows friendly ones). More flexibility in string handling
is needed.

Luke